The adults and children participating in growing the OLGC community garden will benefit from the joy and satisfaction of helping those in need by providing a variety of fresh vegetables to our Food Pantry participants. Fresh foods are often lacking in the diet of those with food insecurity. Families can also teach their children the value of giving back to those in need, demonstrating and living the teaching ways of Christ. You can also raise fresh vegetables for your own family use and enjoyment.
How can I get involved?
- Volunteer to assist with maintenance of the pantry section of the garden. (Planting, weeding, watering, harvesting) This section of the garden supplies food directly to the pantry to be distributed to those in need.
- Invest in a raised bed for your family. Take advantage of being able to grow fresh vegetable for your family.
- Pick a row to plant and maintain in the garden for your family or to donate to the pantry.
- Donate supplies or financial assistance to help us in sustaining the garden.
Did you know?
- 1 in 6 adults experience food insecurity each day in America
- Nationally, 1 in 4 children don’t know where their next meal will come from.
- 12.6% of St. Johns County families experience food insecurity ( 23,480 people)
- Average cost of a meal in St Johns County is $3.34. National average is $2.67 /meal)
- The Community Garden has supplied over 600 lbs. of fresh vegetables to the OLGC Food pantry in 2016.
Need service hours?
Volunteering in the OLCG will help you meet your high school or college student’s service hour requirements.
Never gardened before?
Don’t worry, we can help. The OLGC Community Garden Committee has gathered some great resources to assist you.
- Gardening Calendar
- Florida Gardening Guide
- Gardening Calendar
- Florida Gardening for Beginners
- Organic Gardening
- Earth Easy
- Sustainable North Florida
- Fall Gardening
Minsistry Forms: Required for participation. Please return to Mindy Benedict
Contact: Mindy Benedict
Follow us on Twitter: @OLGCGarden
Ministry at Work