Did you know that the Our Lady of Good Council Cemetery is on the original site of the Church of St Leopold, erected in 1875? The church structure was in front of the present cemetery, close to State Road 16.
In 1902, it was determined that the church would be closer to the parish population if it were in the Bakersville area. The structure was dismantled and reconstructed at its present site near the intersection of Pacetti and Church Roads and renamed Our Lady of Good Counsel Church. This is where the parish Boutique is located.
In 1999, the new Our Lady of Good Counsel Church was opened on State Road 16, just west of the cemetery. Throughout the history of the parish community, the cemetery has continued operation and is the resting place for many family members who attended services in the old wooden church and are part of the history of this part of St. Johns County. The Pacettis, Ashtons, Colees, Leonards and Klipstines are some of the family names with historical connections in the cemetery.
Over the 144 year history of the parish, Our Lady of Good Counsel cemetery has been treasured land. In recent years, an altar was built by parishioners,
a columbarium with Michelangelo’s Pieta was set in place and, most recently, a Veterans monument was also created.
To further beautify the cemetery, parish members are volunteering to carefully clean and where possible, repair the grave stones that need special attention. The photos below show the before and after for one of the grave stones that dates back to 1890s.
This is one more manner of honoring this sacred place and those that have gone before us. Since several of the graves date back to the late 1800’s and list family names with connections to the area, ancestors and current family members may have questions or wish to know more about the planned work. Also, volunteers who wish to assist on the project are welcomed.
Please contact Greg Letnaunchyn at [email protected] , or 717-602-6608 for information.